Followers

Friday, May 25, 2007

Donation Day

I had to be there at 8am today to begin my final part of the Stem Cell collection. I was able to sleep last night after taking 2 Phenergan and was not in too much pain this morning. It was about 10am before they finally got the two lines coming out of my neck hooked up to this amazing machine that magically pulls the stem cells from the white and red blood cells. It was not painful at all. The only strange thing happening was that a couple of times my lips and nose tingled for a few minutes. They gave me Tums calcium tablets to chew and it stopped. I took movies and magazines but they never came out of the sack. Rick was with me the entire time and my good friend Debby took the day off to drive over from Trenton, Ga to spend some time with me. Also, Alyce and Terry came down for a long time and then my daughter Tara and granddaughter Morgan came too. Then later Kristina and then John came. We even put a puzzle together. There was someone with me the entire day, so I did not have a chance to get bored or scared. Some of the nurses asked Terry to play the guitar and sing so he sang 2 songs for us. He sounded great even through his mask! Jerry Jenkins, Terry's preacher, came by this afternoon to have prayer with us. Dr. Vaughan came by about 5:30pm and said he was stopping the collection because they had the exact-perfect amount. He also said they would not have to manipulate it (add or take out anything) because we both have O+ blood and are such a good match. (this is unusual) By the time they gave me a bag of potassium, magnesium and calcium and then removed the catheter from my neck it was 8pm. They will start his Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant around 10am tomorrow. I told Terry I would see him then. He knew how tired I was and said he did not expect me to be there. I told him that the doctor and nurses said that tomorrow would be his new birthday and he could not have a birthday without the person who was birthing him!! Please, please pray for him tomorrow and the next 2 weeks, which will be critical. I need to ask you to please not call his room anymore at this time. Just continue to call the prayer pager at 325-0081 or send him a card at:
Terry Davidson
c/o Room P-350
University Hospital
619 19th St So
Birmingham, AL 35249
You may also email him at heytwd@yahoo.com .
I cannot begin to tell you how much your love, concern and prayers have lifted us up during this extremely emotional time. No matter what the outcome, we will give God the glory for his abundant love and mercy. Only God can determine the outcome of the battle but we who have been washed in the blood of Jesus are assured the eternal victory. I pray that you have that assurance too. Because without it you could never go through the depths of despair that has faced us these past few months and still feel at peace because you know that God is with you EVERY step of the way.
I have attached a picture of us made earlier today during the collection process.
Much love,
Karen

No comments: