Followers

Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Long Battle Begins

Terry, Alyce, Kristina and I all met with Dr. Salzman at UAB and Amy, the nurse practitioner. from 9am to about 3pm on Thursday and got the results of all our tests and got a tour of the Bone Marrow Unit. We matched up even better than expected. They discussed the entire procedure and told us what to expect. One of them said they prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Friday, Terry went back to get another catheter in the other side of his neck because they said that 99% of the cases get an infection during the long chemo treatment and one would probably have to be shut off. When his immune system gets bottomed out, they would not want to risk going into surgery to implant another one. This is really going to be an uphill battle for Terry, but he is ready for the fight. He went back Saturday for a little while to get more pre-chemo drugs and will go back Monday for an all day doseage and testing to see just how much chemo his body can tolerate. Then on Tuesday, May 15th, he will enter the hospital for about 6 weeks. By the way, he cannot have any flowers or any raw fruit or vegetables in the unit. His room will be larger than the one at Carraway and has a stationary bike for him to use when he feels like exercising. There is a private bath and a chair that makes into a bed for Alyce. There is a small kitchen on the floor as well as a washer and dryer. He will have VERY limited visitation from anyone other than immediate family. There is a code to get into the BMU and then we must wash our hands before entering the actual doors to the unit. My part will begin on Monday, May 21st. I will begin going daily to the BMU for shots of Neupogen. If Terry's insurance had not covered this, the 4 shots would have cost over $6,000. The doctor and nurse were concerned that I have such an intolerance to pain meds. I will be off my normal prescription strength Nsaids for a week before and then the shots also will make me have severe bone and muscle pain. These shots will make my white cell count rise really high in a short time and then my red cells and platelets will work overtime to produce new Stem Cells. On Thursday, they will put a catheter into my neck. That is the day that I will really wish I could take some strong pain meds but everything makes me nauseated to the point of dehydration. Then on Friday, May 25th, I will go in at 8am to begin the apheresis. They showed me the room where I will be hooked up and they will take my blood out, remove the needed Stem Cells and then put it back in. They told me to prepare to be there 10 hours that day. I can watch TV, read, snack or sleep. Terry and Alyce may even be able to come visit with me awhile since I will be just a couple of doors down the hall. They will monitor me during the entire process in case my calcium, potassium and magnesium levels get out of kilter. I am having to get prescriptions filled for the potassium and magnesium to take while there if they think my levels are getting too low. If the calcium level is too high it acts as a binding agent and they would have to give me something to counter that. As I said before, they told us all the worst but we will hope for the BEST. I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little nervous about this, but God has given me an opportunity to save Terry's life and he will provide me with the peace and comfort I need. Terry's big day will come on Saturday, May 26th, when he will receive the Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant. The hours and days after the Transplant will tell the doctors if his body is responding favorably. God has brought us to it and he will see us through it. We seek your prayers now more than ever. I hope you all saw the flyer about the concert in Terry's honor scheduled for May 20th, 4:30 to 8:30. The concert and food are free for ANY size donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Terry will not be allowed to come, but he will still get to see all of us on a laptop screen. He will be so surprised. PLEASE make plans to be present so you can send him a message of encouragement. Bring the entire family and neighbors, we want to have a BIG crowd. I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. Our entire family took lunch to our 83 year old Mom's house and surprised her. I love you all, Karen

No comments: